Monday, October 3, 2011

Archie in camp near Knoxville

Camp Near Knoxville
September 27th 1862

Dear Father,
I will now write to you a few lines to let you know where I am and how I am getting along. We are still near Knoxville. My face is rising again. My lip is as large as it was when old Wallace hurt it but it don’t pain me much. I think it will it will break in a day or two. The Doctor that is along with us has no medicine that is good for me. My health otherwise, is as good as it ever was. We have splendid water here but we have to go a good ways after it. We are camped on an oak ridge in a healthy place. We got officers appointed over us until we get to our regiment. They try to show their authority to much. I see now we will leave here tomorrow or next day after tomorrow. I don’t know get to our regiment. I can’t tell whether we will have to march or go by the way of the cars. Well, so I have seen right smart of the world. Since I have left home I have seen a paper factory and I have seen them making paper. It bangs all the things that I ever saw and I have seen a good many different kind of people too. I seen one man that if ever I see him after war is over, I will whip him or he will whip me sure. He is a doctor too but, you know we have right smart to bear here but maybe so, I will be free some of these days. We get plenty of corn meal and bacon to eat here. Some of the boys went out the other day and pressed a large haversack full of Irish potatoes and four pumpkins and some peas and bought a canteen full of molasses. U Frank got hold of some splendid pies so we fared fine while it all lasted it give out this morning so some of the boys on another scouting expedition as they call it I will tell you in our mess there four of the Franklin Rifles. Dave Calcote & myself and we have concluded not to starve while were are in east Tennessee. Frank is getting along fine. He studied about home right smart the first week after he left but he is over it now. He is enjoying himself finely. I think I will get off when I get to the regiment. My lip is larger I think than then it was when the horse hurt it but none good thing, it don’t pain me like it did then. The doctor here says that I winter well. I must close as I have no more news to write. Give my love to all of the rest of the family &reserve a portion for yourself.
From your affectionate son

Hugh A McLaurin

PS You had better not write until you hear from me again. I want to hear from home the worst you ever seen a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment