Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Just before Chickamauga

Camped Near Lafayette Ga
Sept 15th 1863

Dear Father
I will now write you a few lines as I have a opportunity. We are down in Georgia. I can’t tell you exactly where, only we are near a little town by the name of Lafayette. We don’t know what moment we will be ordered to move. We left Chattanooga the 8th. We have been marching ever since. We have been in line of battle two or three times but we haven’t had to fight any yet but I don’t think it will be long before will have to do some of it if we do I hope that we will give the Yanks a good whipping. I will put my trust in kind providence to carry me through safe. If I should happen to fall ti will be in a good cause. Haskins artillery is up here but I haint had a chance to go and see any of the boys yet and I don’t know whether I will or not. Pretty near all of Johnston’s army is up here. I think from the preparations they are making here that we will send old Rosy backt with a genteel bashing. Well I will close for this time. Alic Currie is sick gut they will not send him to the hospital. Neil is well. I am well but have been a little sick but I am all right again. Give my love to all and receive a portion for your self. From your affectionate son
H A McLaurin

No comments:

Post a Comment