Thursday, September 29, 2011

Archie McLaurin of the 7th Mississippi Infantry

Well school is in full swing and with teaching and coaching I have not had time to play with research. I still want to offer something to the blog world so I thought I would begin a seriel of Archie's letters. Recall I have posted a few of his letters previous. After transcribing them a few years ago, allow me to offer my new installment. Enjoy.

Camp __aurdgold
March 4th 1862

Dear Father

I will now endeavor to write you a few lines to let you know that we all reached the place on Sunday evening a little before sun set. It is pretty cold up here now but I don’t mind if much. It was raining a little when we reached here but it has cleared up. We pitched our tents yesterday. Sunday night we stayed under an old shed in a fair ground but we didn’t sleep much for it was so cold that we had to stay by the fire all night, but last night we slept fine. There are not many troops here now. I expect we will have to move again before long. Well I must come to a close as I have to help the boys fix up some table to eat on. This leaves me well and in fine spirits. Tell Miss Sally that I will answer her letter in a few days so no (Page Torn)

Son H A McLaurin

Direct letters to
Jackson
Tenn
_ Capt Parker
7th reg Miss Vol

No comments:

Post a Comment