Friday, October 14, 2011

July the 22nd 1863

Camp Near Bridgeport Ala
July the 22nd 1863

Dear Sister,
I once more have an opportunity of sending a letter as far as Covington by hand. So I will write you a few lines to let you know that I am well at this time; our brigade is stationed near Bridgeport to guard the river and the bridge across the Ten. River. We have very heavy guard; we have to come on guard about every other day and we don’t get enough to eat. We get a little poor beef and corn meal; and sometimes a little flour, sugar, and lard; but it takes it all to make two meals a day. There is great dissatisfaction in the army here at this time; the most of boys think that the confederacy is gone; I think, myself, that it is a doubtful case; I doubt there is much chance for us now; I think if they don’t feed us better than they are doing now, they wont have an army long; there are plenty of boys about here but they wont let us kill any of them if they can help it but, they are getting scarcer than here; Alex Currie has been a little sick, but he is getting well again; Neil is well, but he grumbles powerfully about the rationed; I know he can eat any time of the day that he can get to victuals but he can’t get to them now. He swears that he is going to kill a boy (pig) if they don’t feed him better; but I don’t think he will do it for he is to blamed lazy; don’t tell any body that will tell Neil what I have said about him; we had him very mad about a week ago. He was writing a letter to his girl and we found out who it was. I tell you, he was hot. Well I will close, as I can’t think of anymore to write. Give my love to all and reserve a portion for yourself, nothing more as from your affectionate brother,
Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment