Monday, October 17, 2011

August the 7th 1863

Camped Near Bridgeport Ala
August the 7th 1863


Dear Father

I will write you a few lines as there is a man going down in that part of the country but I don’t know whether you will get it or not you will get it or not. I am well at this time all the boys are generally well. I have no mews of importance to write. We have a right smart of guard duty to do here. The enemy is on one bank of the river and we are on the other but we don’t shoot at each other. We sit and chat with them all day long. I don’t think we are in much danger. I don’t think they will attempt to cross. We all get along very peaceable. I received a letter from cousin Mary Jane McLaurin a few days since. They were all well in that section. She said that her two twin brothers were in Miss the last account she had of them and her brother John was near Charleston. She said that Uncle John was so going out in the service in a few days. Well I will close as I am in a hurry. Give my best respect to Mr. Strong and Miss Sallie and my love to all the family and the same for your self and hoping to come out safe. I remain your affectionate son Archie

I am going to write every opportunity whether you get the letter or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment