Thursday, October 6, 2011

Murfreesboro

Just days before the battle of Murfreesboro, Archie pens the following letter. THere is a lot of backstory here, from spies so prevelant in the Roscrans/Bragg bouts to the girls of Tennessee. Enjoy.

Camped near Murfreesburo Tenn Dec 27th 1862
Dear Sister

I seat my self to answer your letter that I received a few days ago but did not have an opportunity of answering it right off. There is no news of importance. I write only I am in fine health and enjoying myself fine. It is a very dry Christmas; not so very dry either for it has been raining pretty all the time. It is raining now. We have 3 days rations cooked in our haver sacks. We are expecting every hour to have to go out on pickett. There is heavy cannonading in the direction of Nashville. Well Mary I was down in town yesterday and saw two men taken out to be shot for deserting and I saw one hanged. The one that was hanged was a spy. His wife was in the guard house with him when he was brought out. He asked the officers if they would let his wife have his body to take home and bury. They told him that they would. Then he asked then if they would let her have that wagon to carry him in. They told him they would. He then told them all goodbye and the wagon started off. When they were going through town he sang all the way. When they tied the rope he jumped off before they knocked the scaffle (scaffold) from under him. Old Bragg had several more shot yesterday for deserting. You wrote to me to know what kind of a place Murfreesburo is. It is a tolerably large place but it looks very bad now. It is twice as large as Brookhaven. There is some of the prettiest girls in the country here that you most ever saw with the exception of one. They are secesh girls to. I saw three yesterday that talked but right you need not think because I am bashful at home that I am so here for I am getting to be as bold as you please. I received a letter from Nancy yesterday. I also received one from Mag the same day that I received yours. I want you to write all about the exhibition and tell me how Jenny and Dutch performed and tell me too whether Guince has rode my colt or not. Tell Jenny that I want her to write to me. Well I will close as it is getting late. Excuse the mistakes. Give my love to all the family and receive a portion for yourself. From your brother.

Hugh McLaurin

No comments:

Post a Comment