Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October the 30th 1862

Be certain and
Send me a letter
With the box
If not before October the 30th 1862


Dear Father

I write you a few lines to let you know how I am getting along. I am tolerably well at this time. My face is still swollen a little but not much. I left Frank at Knoxville sick. I left there the 26th. I haven’t heard from him since but he wasn’t sick much. It was snowing when I left and I thought that it wouldn’t do to make him travel in that kind of weather so I left him at a convalescent camp with Alic Currie. The Dr said he would have him attended to. I guess he will be up in a day or two. We are camped 8 miles from Knoxville. I guess we will go there in a few days to go to Chattanooga. Pa I want you to send me some clothing. Ham Webb is going home after clothing for the company. He says to leave the things at Starms and he will get them. I want you to send me a janes coat, pair of pants, pair of shoes and tow or three pair socks. Tel Ma to make the coat tolerably large. I will send you $5. Webb will leave it at Storms. You can get it. I would send you more but I don’t know when I will draw. I will keep $30. Tell Mary that I want a comforter very bad. Tell her if she hasn’t got time to know to get Miss Sallie to knit it. We had a pretty deep snow on the night of 26th. It was about 5 inches. Well I must close as it is very cold. Give my love to the balance of the family. Excuse bad writing for I am so cold I can scarcily write. From your affectionate son Archie

Webb can tell when he gets to Brookhaven when he will be coming back. He can let them know at Storms and you may find out. Please send something to eat in the box you send my clothes in. Send me some butter certain

No comments:

Post a Comment