Thursday, October 27, 2011

December 7th 1863

Camp Near Dalton Ga
December 7th 1863

Dear Sister

I will now endeavor to answer you letter which I received yesterday evening. I was really surprised to see a letter for me for i had come to the conclusion that you had all forgot me but I believe you did make out to think of me once more. I am well at present and enjoying my self as well as could be expected after a shameful thrashing from the Yanks. We get plenty of corn bread and beef but that is about all that we do get. We draw a little sugar and sometimes a few rotten potatoes. Mary I want you to send me a little box of provisions again. Will have to chance to send them for Hamm Webb has written home for his negro and he says if you writer his people that they will let you know when he will come by Brook and fetch a box for me. Get Pa to write to Hamm’s father about it and he will let him know. If he writes tell him to direct the letter to John L. Webb McCall’s Creek PO Franklin and if you send the box be certain not to send me any clothing for I have got as much as I want to carry. I want you to send me some butter and some preserves and some sausages. I don’t know whether that is spelled right or not. If it is not, you know what I want. It is some hog guts with ground meat stuffed in them. And I would like very much to have a corn meal pound cake. Some of the boys got some the other day and you may depend that they were nice. If you send any send one with Alex Curries name on it for the fellow can’t get any of that kind for me home it appears to be at a loss since Neil was captured but I keep plaguing him so much that he is all the time at some mischief. Tell me when you write whether cousin James has moved out yet or not if he is tell Meg that I want her to send me something good to eat for that is all that a soldier ever thinks of is something to eat and when they get their belly full. They lay about and smoke and talk about their sweethearts. Well I have written all of the foolish mess that I can think of and I have to get ready to go on guard directly. So nothing more from your brother,
Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment