Friday, October 21, 2011

Oct 5th 1863

Near Chattanooga Tenn
Oct 5th 1863
Dear Sister
I will write you a few lines as I have an opportunity of sending it by hand. There is an old man going down in Franklin. I am well at present. I wrote a letter to Pa yesterday but I don’t know whether it will go or not. There has been an artillery dual going on pretty near all day. I have been listening at the booming of cannons and the bursting of shells all the time but none of them have come near than half mile of us. I don’t fear them much when they don’t come any nearer than that. I heard yesterday that Bill Adams was killed in the fight the other day. Will Algood was also killed. Ben Mann was not hurt. He came out safe. Well sister I will close as it is getting late. Trusting in God that we will meet again if not on earth I hope we will meet in heaven. So nothing more only I remain your brother

Archie

PS Please excuse all the mistakes a it is very late and I am in haste.

No comments:

Post a Comment