Monday, October 10, 2011

March 11th 1863

Camped Near Shelbyville Tenn
March 11th 1863

Dear Sister

I will now endeavor to answer your letter. I received a day before yesterday. We got off pickett day before yesterday and I was glad to find a letter here for me. Capt Brisler has not got here yet. Lieut. Rankin brought me the letter and the bundle Miss Sallie sent me. You can’t imagine how glad I was to get that bundle. I want you to tell her tht I am very much obliged to her. Tell her I will try and find a nice beau for her if she has lost her old one (Dr Strode). I don’t think it will be any trouble for me to find a sweet heart if ever I get home as three of the best looking men I know are married. I think there is a chance for me now as Walt Strode and Jimmings are out of the way. We got off pickett without a fight but I thought twice that we were in it but the Yanks run both times. Gen Van Dorn captured 1200 prisoners one day last week. They were all around the square in town the other day. When we came through there they looked right bold. They looked like they ought to fight better than they do. You spoke about Walk McDaniels being in the hospital. If you could see him he wild bring anything you would want to send me. I wrote to you when I was out on picket but for fear you wont get it I will tell you again what I want you to send me. I want a pair of shoes 2 pair pants and 2 pair of cotton socks. You need not listen to the soldiers in the hospital when they say that they don’t get enough to eat for they are so use to telling lies up here that they have to tell some down there to keep in practice. If I was to get a chance to go home now I would have to tell many a lie to keep up with the boys her in camp. If I didn’t they could beat me so bad that I would be ashamed of my self but as long as I can stay with them I think I can keep up with them. I expect Nan Mitchell will cut a dash now with her new pianna. I would like very much to hear one now. It has been so long since I heave heard that. I have almost forgot how they sound. I will tell you what Penny’s present is but don’t tell her until she tries to guess what it is. Tell me the next letter what she guessed first it is a little white handle knife two little blades in one end and a little pair of scissors in the other. Tell Dutch that I will find something nice for him before long. Tell him to be smart and learn fast and learn how to write me and write me a letter. Well I will come to a close. Hoping to hear from you soon. This leaves me in the best of health so no more from your brother
Hugh A McLaurin

No comments:

Post a Comment