Tuesday, October 18, 2011

August the 10th 1863

Camped near Bridgeport Ala
August the 10th 1863
Dear Sister

I will write you a few lines, as there is a man out of the company who is going home. I haven’t much time to write as it will soon be time for the cars to be here. I am in fine health at present and so fat and lazy that I dread to do anything. The Currie boys are both well. Alic is in better health now than I ever saw him. The Yanks are just on the opposite of the river from us. I wrote to Pa about a week ago but I don’t know whether he received the letter or not. If he did not I will tell you how we are doing here. Our brigade is on detailed to guard a bridge across the Tennessee River. The Yanks are on the opposite bank from us. While we are on pickett guard we sit and talk with each other all day. They talk very friendly. I don’t think they will attempt to cross the river here. We had an election in our company a few days ago for third Lieut.. We elected Root Scott again but he hasn’t been examined yet. I don’t know how he will stand the examination. I tell you Mary I begin to want to see home pretty soon it will be 12 months since I left there. There is plenty of girls about here but none of them as pretty as the Miss girls. I don’t think I could me Reb one among them. Well I must close as I am in great haste. Give my love to all the family and a portion of the same for your self. From you affectionate brother

H.A. McLaurin

I have received a letter from Cousin Mary Jane McLaurin a few days ago. She said she would like to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment