Tuesday, October 11, 2011

April 16th 1863

Camped Near Shelbyville Tennessee
April 16th 1863

Dear Father
I will now drop you a few ines as I have an opportunity to send it to Brook. I am well at this time but have I have got a right sore arm where I was wounded but it is getting better. I don’t know what caused it but all that was_________ when I was_______ got the sorest are I ever saw. The Dr burnt the ______flesh out of _______this morning with costic. It don’t pain me any more. I think it will soon be well. The health of the here is very good at this time. I have no news of importance__________________. I wrote a letter to Cornelius and received an answer a few days ago. He said that he had been sick with the chills and fever but he was getting well. Then he inquired very particular about you and he wanted to know how you were getting along with your crops. He said that they were only getting half rations quarter pound of bacon and half pound of flour. We get a little more than that but we don’t get full rations. The commissary say that we get full rations but they don’t near hold out. When we draw 3 days rations they last about 2 and then the third day we have to buy and a very dear prices.
I received a letter from Mary yesterday and she said that she was selling butter mild at 75cts a gallon and we have to give $1.00 a quart and butter $2.75 a pound and every thing else the same way. There is some talk of us starting to Kentucky soon but I don’t know whether to believe it or not. I will send Jenny her knife as I have a chance to send it by hand. I will put it in the letter. Tell Mary I haven’t finished he ring yet but I will finish it before long and send it to her. The Currie boys are both well. Neil has been a little sick but not much. I have just been down in the old field watching the boys play ball. It mad me think of old times. Tell Dutch that I wont slight him. I will try and find something to send him before long. Well I will close for this time hoping to hear from you soon so no more only I remain your affectionate son
H.A McLaurin

No comments:

Post a Comment