Sunday, October 9, 2011

We enter 1863

Archie begins his 1863 letters in March. Plenty of 1863 to come so enjoy.

March 7th 1863
Dear Sister

I will attempt to write you a few lines to let you know where I am and how I am getting along. We are out on pickett again. I am well at this time. I expect we will have a skirmish with the Yanks before we go back to camps. The Yankee cavalry drove our cavalry picketts in a few days ago and took several of our cavalry prisoner and two or three of our infantry. Our brigade was called on to assist them but they run before we got in sight of them. We have been out ever since last Monday. We will have only two more days to stay. I will write again as soon as we get back to camp. I want you to send me some cotton pants the first opportunity, I want two pair. I also want a pair of shoes. I can get shoes here for $10 a pair but they won’t last more than one march before they are wore out. I was very glad you didn’t send but one shirt. I am in hopes if we do get into a skirmish that we will come out victorious. I received a letter from Cousin Mary Jane McLaurin a few days before I left camp. Well I believe I will close for this time. Give my love to all from your brother,
H M McLaruin

No comments:

Post a Comment