Wednesday, October 26, 2011

December the 6th 1863

Near Dalton Ga
December the 6th 1863

Dear Sister
I have an opportunity of sending a letter down in our neighborhood by some old men that came up to bring clothing for our regt. They got here yesterday and they expect to start back to marrow. I have no news of importance to write. We are still in camp near Dalton. We don’t have much to do only a little guard duty. Jim Lee’s negro got back yesterday. He brought Jim a find lot of potatoes and butter and cake and preserves and a little of everything else that is good. He give Ben Knapp some butter and potatoes and we had a find breakfast. I would like very much to come home this winter but I can’t even as much as hear from home. I haven’t had a letter in so long that I wouldn’t hardly know how to read one if I should happen to get one but I don’t know there is any chance of getting one from home for I think you have all forgotten how to write. I have written to Pa and Nancy and Maggie and you and cant get an answer from either party and the next time I write I am going to write to Ma and if she don’t answer my letters I am going to quit writing to anybody and see how that will do. I wrote home for a blanket some time ago but you need not send it for I have got me a splendid one now. Well I will close of this time. This leaves myself and all the boys in find health that is what few of them are hear. Give my love to all the family and a portion of the same for yourself. From your affectionate brother,
H.A.McLaurin

No comments:

Post a Comment