Tuesday, October 25, 2011

After Chattanooga

Camps near Dalton GA
December 2nd 1863
Dear Sister
I once more have an opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you know that I am still in the land of the living. We have had another fight and the yanks have given us a genteel thrashing. I was in the fight but did not get hurt. There was none of our company hurt but there was five captured. Neil Currie, Dan Cupit, John Smith, John Robinson (Robertson), and William Cobb were the ones captured. They were captured on the 24th of Nov. The Yanks began to advance on us on the 23rd and the left wing of our regt was guarding a railroad bridge to the right of where our brigade was stationed. We held them in check until Tuesday morning the 24th and we had to fall back from there and the boys were afraid to get out of the ditch for fear they would be killed. They tried to get me to stay with then and surrender but I told them I was going to risk my chance of getting out. The Yanks were in 150 yard of me when I left the ditch. Driving in full line and as I left they fixed a full volley at me but none of them touched me. We skirmished with them form Monday evening until Wednesday evening and then we were ordered to go back to our brigade and about the time we got back there and began to rest our selves. We looked down the hill and saw the Yanks coming with five lines of battle so we were ordered in our ditches and our regt stayed there until the Yanks whipped our men on the right and got into our ditches and began to fire down the ditches at us. They captured one piece of the battery that belonged to our brigade. I was in 50 yards of the battery when they planted their colors on it. The battery men and the Yanks fought with sticks and rocks and carried out one piece after the Yanks got hold of it and were trying to hold it. I would not have believed this if I had not seen it with my own eyes. But I tell you I am ashamed that I belong to the brigade that I do for it done some of the shakiest fight I ever saw, but I feel that I have done my duty. We left Missionary Ridge Wednesday night or rather we more run away from there before night. I think we had as well as quit and go home for I see no other chance but for us to be whipped. Alex Currie was not in the fight. He had just got back from the hospital and he had no gun so he was sent back to the rear with the wagons. He is the luckiest boy I ever saw. We are camped in about three miles of Dalton Ga and we have all got rested and our mess has killed a big fat hog and we are all doing fine. Well I will close for this time. Hoping to hear from you soon. Give my love to all the family and the same for yourself. From your affectionate brother. Archie

Ps when you write, direct to Dalton GA
Compamy (e) 7th Miss regt
Anderson’s Brigade

Give my best respects to Uncle Henry and miss Sallie and also(_______) at one.

No comments:

Post a Comment