Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Last McLaurin Entry

Here it is, the last letter from Archie. Records indicate he was wounded at Resaca. After that I have no information. I hope you enjoyed reading his story.

Camp Near Dalton Ga
April the 10th 1864

Dear Sister
I will not endeavor to answer yours of the 29th of March, which came safe to hand yesterday. It found me enjoying the bets of health. You can’t imagine how glad I was to get it and to hear that you were all well. I have no news of importance to write you. We re still camped in our old place near Dalton and no indications of a move. The Yanks are all peaceable out in front. I am in hopes that we will have mails regular pretty soon. I hear that the cars are running so far as Brandon if that be true I think that we will soon be getting mail regular. I have written to cousin Mary Jane McLaurin. I have not received an answer yet but I think that I will get it tomorrow. I had come to the conclusion that I would not hear from home any more until the war was over but I guess you will have chances to send letters occasionally. I am going to send this by one of the Franklin Rifles who is going home on furlough. I don’t expect to get a furlough before next winter but if I live to see next winter. I think I will get home then. I wish I could see you all but I don’t think there is any chance soon. If the boys that have gone home would have acted right it not be long before it would come my time to go but they have done so badly that I would be glad to see every one of them brought back and punished. I received a letter from Clem last night that was dated Feb 9th. It has been along time coming. He said that they had enrolled the militia and it took him. I want you the next time you see him to get after him and make him join some volunteer company and tell him to join some cavalry for infantry don’t pay vary well. Tell Dutch that I think he is large enough to write to me if he is large enough to plow. I tell you I want to get home and get some vegetables and milk and butter. Mary I want you to make me some cheese. Ben Knapp is going to sent his negro home in about two or three months to get things for our mess. If he does he will come by our house. I haven’t seen Ben Mann yet. I am going up to see him after while and get him to write to cousin Mary Jane and tell him what you said. Well Mary I will have to close for this time. Give my love to all the family and the same for your self from your affectionate brother
Archie

Direct to Co (e) 7th Miss
Regt Tuckers Brigade
Dalton Ga

No comments:

Post a Comment