Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Camp Sumter

Over Thanksgiving vacation I travelled to Madison for another day of reading original documents at the Wisconsin Historical Society.I hit gold again.It'll take me a while to transcribe what I found, but here is my first entry.

I found a letter from Captain Wirz at Camp Sumter asking permission to move the hospital from the compound to outside to gain more room to house his prisoners. Below is the letter. Enjoy.

Camp Sumter Andersonville Ga
April 25 1864

Genl

I have the honor to enclose report of Conf. States Mil Prison report of guard forces at this post. Allow me Genl most respectfully to point out to you several things which in my humble judgment need some action upon.

The hospital which is within the stockades impedes very much the ___ line necessary to keep such a large number of prisoners in proper bounds. Beside I am very much in want of the space which the hospital is occupying. Prisoners are constantly arriving, and soon I will not be able to quarter everyone. The gates which ought to be closed are to be left open to give access to the surgeon as well as egress to the dead, all these things combine making an alternate most desirable.

There are a great many applications of prisoners to take the oath of allegiance to the Southern Confederacy, not however with the intention to enter our service, but to be allowed to work at their respective.

An increased guard would not only be very acceptable but it is a great necessity. These suggestions Genl submitted to yours remain
Most respectively
Your ob servant

Wirz
M. S. Wright Capt Commanding
Brig Genl
Present

NOTE: In the letter Wirz talks about "egress for the dead." On that day Corporal Reuben I. Malone died at the prison. He was one of those who used that egress. Sort of humanizes the practical writing of Wirz.

No comments:

Post a Comment