Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Websites about Richmond and Petersburg

I am a guy who tends to study the Eastern campaigns. I am especially interested in the Overland Campaign, Petersburg battles and the final Eastern campaign. Maybe it’s the forlorn hope of it all,that last desperate measure of it all that brings me to Richmond just about every year. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve flown into the Richmond airport, suffice it to say, I can tell you where the closest Waffle House (love that place) is and how to get to Pamplin Park like I’m a native. Here are two websites related to that area that I have enjoyed. If you have any others, please send the addresses to me. I am two months from heading out once again.


RICHMOND
I love Richmond. From walking past the monument to the famous confederates to the Edgar Allan Poe museum, the flavor is to my liking. Besides the Museum of the Confederacy and Virginia Historical Society, a trip to Hollywood Cemetery or Tredegar is a day’s adventure worth pursuing. There are even two diners that were featured on “Drive ins, Diners and Dives” cable show, as well as a good Irish place down town. Food and history-COOL.

“Civil War Richmond” is a nice place to read what the newspapers of the times were saying, thus what was happening in the city. I had never heard of the Shocktoe Hill Cats and the Butchertown Cats (rival gangs) and their rock battles until reading this website. A great website for if you want to vicariously live in Richmond during the war.
“Civil War Richmond”
http://www.mdgorman.com/index.html

PETERSBURG
Someone did all the work for me. The National Park Service websites titled, “Views of the National Parks”, has an amazing site dedicated to the Petersburg battles. Filled with 1st person accounts for Grant’s Headquarters, The Eastern Front, Western Front, Five Forks, Poplar Grove Cemetery, as well a test your knowledge section and finally, a multi-media program that is okay, you’ll finds hours of excellent reading. Enjoy.

“Views of the National Parks”
http://www.nature.nps.gov/views/Classic/Sites/PETE/HTML/ET_Intro.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment