Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Finding a brother on a battlefield

In the Virginia Historical Society are the printed memories of Captain James E. Phillips of the 12th Virginia- a fascinating account from the ranks of a brigade that saw action throughout the war, but especially during the Overland campaign and into Petersburg. Packed with details for the student of the soldier’s experience, I offer one that made a personal connection for me. The story begins in December of 1864 and explains James returning to the Spotsylvania battlefield to find his brother’s body. His brigade fought by what is known as Heth's Salient against 9th corps federals.

“I had to obtain five days leave of absence from General Lee. We were then encamped about six miles south-west of Petersburg. I went to Guinea Station, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Road. The battlefield (Spotsylvania- May 12th) was twelve miles and a half distant. I walked over there. Strange as it may seem, the bodies of my brother were easily found and recognizable. His companions who fell with him were by his side. The whiskers had grown to considerable length, but I could easily identify each body. They had on all the clothing, equipment, etc. that which were on them when they lost their lives. On the road I found a wide barrel stern, on which I marked my brother’s name. I borrowed a shovel and pick and buried my brother. It was too late for me to bury the remains of the others, for it was by this time dark. I went back to the home of two old ladies who lent me the pick and shovel. They gave me six winesap apples. The tree from which these apples were in full bloom when the battle was fought. Just matured before the body of my brother was buried. Since then all the remains of the people killed in that battle have been buried in a cemetery near the scene of the struggle.”

Two summers ago, I went to the confederate cemetery at Spotsylvania. Armed with this account, I searched the Virginia section for his brother and there, near the road and the monument that dominates the site, lay his brother George under a marked grave. The fellows who lay next to George that December night of 1864 are no doubt in the unknown section. If not for the efforts of a brother another soldier of the Civil War would have died unknown. If you go to the cemetery, look in the Virginia section for George Phillips of the 12th Virginia then remember how you found him.

No comments:

Post a Comment